Sean Hagen: Chairman of Board; President & CEO (more ...)
Mr. Hagen is a leader in technical management consulting and risk mitigation, with over 38 years of experience in the global electric power generation and transmission industry. He has successfully managed consulting and engineering teams, organizations, projects, and regional offices worldwide. His experience and knowledge base includes virtually all types of power generation, including coal, natural gas, nuclear, and renewable energy wind and solar, as well as high-voltage transmission line projects. Mr. Hagen formed Hagen Global Consulting LLC in 2017 to support Clients successfully achieve their strategic enterprise and mega-project objectives, manage risk and make integrated technical and managerial assessments required to optimize their desired results.
Hagen Global first contributed to Ontario Power Generation’s (OPG’s) Darlington Nuclear Refurbishment as part of the Independent Project Oversight Team reporting to the OPG Board of Director’s. In June 2019, under Sean’s leadership Hagen Global formed and now leads the Technical Consulting Services business group for Mesa Associates, Inc.
Since forming Hagen Global, Sean recognized a paradigm shift in the electric power generation, transmission, and distribution industry driven by Climate Change, and a corresponding need for change in professional and college education for non-technically trained stakeholders in the industry. Accordingly, in 2019 Sean recruited a collaborative and complementary Board and executive team to start-up the Institute of Global Energy Education, a 501(c)(3) non-profit corporation with the Mission to empower unbiased, accurate, and impartial energy education for all, so that energy-related decisions and policies are consistent with physics.
EDUCATION & PROFESSIONAL CREDENTIALS
Master of Business Administration with a concentration in Leadership & Organizational Change
North Central College in Naperville, Illinois, USA, 1991
Bachelor of Science in Civil Engineering with a concentration in Structural Engineering
University of Illinois at Urbana/Champaign, Illinois, USA, 1982
Registered Professional Engineer
State of Tennessee
Memberships in Professional Societies & Institutes
- American Nuclear Society (ANS)
- American Society of Civil Engineers (ASCE)
- Selected as ASCE’s Milestone Member in 1985
- American Society of Mechanical Engineers (ASTM)
- ASTM International (ASTM)
- Voting Member of Committee E10 on Nuclear Technology and Applications
- Voting Member of Committee E53 on Asset Management
- Canadian Nuclear Society (CNS)
- International Association for Continuing Education & Training (IACET)
- Project Management Institute (PMI)
PAPERS & PRESENTATIONS
- The Need for Clean Load-Following Power Generation, Sean F. Hagen. American Society of Civil Engineers 2019 Convention, Miami, Florida, October 9-12, 2019.
- Integrating Small Modular Reactors and Renewable Energy: Attaining A Carbon-Free Grid, Sean Hagen. Pacific Basin Nuclear Conference, September 5, 2018.
- Managing the Risk of Large Projects: Independent Project Oversight, Panel Discussion, 37th Annual Canadian Nuclear Society Conference, June 6, 2017.
- Integrated Resource Planning for Utilities, Matt Thibodeau, Chris Ungate & Sean Hagen. Presented at the AWEA Windpower 2012 Conference in Atlanta, Georgia on June 5, 2012.
- Wind Turbine Structures and Foundations - Past, Present and Future, Sean Hagen and Dr. Shujin Fang. Presented at the 13th Annual University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign Structural Engineering Conference on April 17, 2012.
- Renewable Energy and Integrated Resource Planning for Utilities, Matt Thibodeau, Chris Ungate and Sean Hagen. Presented at the 2012 Electric Power Conference in Baltimore, Maryland, on May 17, 2012.
- Electric Energy's Low Carbon Future and the Tough Choices Required, Jeremy Bero, Ken Davis, Sean Hagen and Matt Thibodeau. Presented at the Electric Power Conference, Rosemont, IL, May 14, 2009.
- Codes and Standards for Wind Turbine Foundations: An Overview and Future Outlook, Tomas Vazquez and Sean Hagen. Presented at the AWEA Windpower 2009 Conference, Chicago, Illinois, May 4-7, 2009.
- Cost Estimates for Utility-Scale Renewable Energy Projects, Sean Hagen. Presented to the American Association of Cost Engineers, Chicago, Illinois, October 9, 2008.
- Optimizing Wind Farm Design for Profitability, Daniel W. Bernadette, Nick Robertson (AWS Truewind), Sean Hagen, (Sargent & Lundy). Presented at AWEA Windpower Conference, Houston, Texas, June 1-4, 2008.
- Municipal Utility Small Wind Projects: Challenges and Benefits - A Municipal Perspective, Patrick Wrase (New Ulm Public Utility) and Sean Hagen. Presented at AWEA Windpower 2008 Conference, Houston, Texas, June 1-4, 2008.
- New Ulm Public Utilities Commission Long Term Power Project, Patrick Wrase (New Ulm Public Utility) and Sean Hagen, presented to the Minnesota Municipal Utilities Association Winter Legislative Conference, March 14, 2008.
- An Assessment of Canada’s Used Nuclear Fuel Management Approach from the Perspective of Current Nuclear Host Communities, Sean Hagen and Joe Hunwicks (City of Pickering, Canada). Presented at American Nuclear Society, Denver, August 7-11, 2005.